|  Chapter 149 Web Site |  Kirx Klox Special Project |  CH 149 MENTORS | 
CHAPTER 149, THE LEADING COLLECTOR'S HOROLOGICAL CLUB, ASSISTS AND EDUCATES ITS MEMBERS>>KEEP UP WITH CURRENT RESEARCH!
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board

The original NAWCC internet chapter
established July 8th, 1990
President & Admin; Jon Hanson
Admin: John LaCambria

Chapter 149, protecting our passion one watch at a time!

Read our Standards of Conduct

login.php?sid=d68f7f60d5c57189c5d4d670b41cb086 profile.php?mode=register&sid=d68f7f60d5c57189c5d4d670b41cb086 faq.php?sid=d68f7f60d5c57189c5d4d670b41cb086 search.php?sid=d68f7f60d5c57189c5d4d670b41cb086

WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » Pocket Watch Value Line for Collectors » FISH? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:54 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

Don't forget to factor in the times.

Loads of people who can not go on holidays, can not go out around here at all and I am sure other places are like it. Cash to burn perhaps ???

They are desperate for something to do so the net is busy, busy, busy.

I know our postal services are straining under the huge increase in packages.

Perhaps we are seeing some unusual results simply due to the current situation.

This hasn't happened before so what do we compare it with.

Worth considering.

I also think there will also be some with an eye to the future who can see a depression coming. Perhaps they are looking for a store for wealth.
Only time will tell if they were right and if it works.

Proud member of CH149 and Global Horology
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

TH, more are a coming..............

SUPPORT ETHICAL PRACTICES IN HOROLOGY--Keep watches original--DO NOT SWITCH, PART OUT OR "CREATE" PW abortions!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:02 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

I watched an online auction today.
Lots of auto books and memorabilia.
A large number of enamel signs.
You get the idea.
Vintage motorbikes did really well.
A lot of Furmula 1 posters etc went for mad money.
The car books also exceeded top estimates.
Most Enamel signs went to at least twice the top estimate.

Vic number plate number 201 went for 220 K

Yet the the car it came from, a 1926 3.5l Bentley was passed in.

There is definitely money out there.

Proud member of CH149 and Global Horology
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

YEAH, gov'ts have been printing it like mad; plus, interest rates are very low!

SUPPORT ETHICAL PRACTICES IN HOROLOGY--Keep watches original--DO NOT SWITCH, PART OUT OR "CREATE" PW abortions!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:17 am Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

Step back and think--why would the B Bennett sellers not wait and sell the best examples later or last? THIS IS THE TRAP FOR NEWBIES.............they pay high from the get go and as more and more examples appear the price erodes---it happened at Bonhams and JH auctions--classic examples included ladies CP, Rockford 18s WI, 21J convertibles, Ball indicators, 72s, Freeoorts, vibrators, 19J Rockfords and 15R Rockfords, Maximus watches everywhere and many others. There always seems to be another around the corner because of hoarding and the fact that price seems to bring out the goods.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:29 am Reply with quote
pocwatjim
Chapter Member

Jon wrote:
Step back and think--why would the B Bennett sellers not wait and sell the best examples later or last? THIS IS THE TRAP FOR NEWBIES.............they pay high from the get go and as more and more examples appear the price erodes---s.

Jon,
Please change the title to latest J & H sale for future reference.

J&H have been selling Bob collection in the previous 4 sales,and they did save most of his best for this sale,... so your analysis is off the mark.
J&H have some more to sell in the fall, but this was the bulk of the good stuff and it brought very high prices. I don't think the first few sale brought high prices..... Mainly because it wasn't the top stuff..

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

Excuse me, BUT this is not what thy are saying to inside clients. Plus, those of us who knew Bon B and his watches KNOW there are Gems that have not sold as yet.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:10 pm Reply with quote
pocwatjim
Chapter Member

He has 2 more 11J's in gilt and some chronometers, etc.

But to address your point the 3 or 4 auctions up to this one didn't get big prices, however this one did. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:09 pm Reply with quote
geno
Chapter Member

There is also a different dynamic here pertaining to these high prices. In the past you would have to wait until the auction to know if your bid was any good, now you get to see in real time and compete against other bids and you get 1- 4 weeks depending on the sale for the prices to creep up. This is a big reason why you will not see very many rips if at all. Some people just are willing to pay more than the next guy just to get something and this allows that to happen, bidding wars or pissing contests in real time as it sometime happens on Ebay where sometimes you get an over pay because 2 guys went at it. As a buyer I hate it, as I seller I love it. Cheap money and boredom and cabin fever may be other factors. I think a lot of people are just not used to seeing this big supply of better items so feel it is a great chance to buy what they want. The last and trickiest parts are condition and so-called good value, knowing how much is an over pay, very hard to know without a lot of knowledge. Some people have the money and would rather have the watches than the money. Geno
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:21 pm Reply with quote
PJR
Chapter Member

geno wrote:
There is also a different dynamic here pertaining to these high prices. In the past you would have to wait until the auction to know if your bid was any good, now you get to see in real time and compete against other bids and you get 1- 4 weeks depending on the sale for the prices to creep up. This is a big reason why you will not see very many rips if at all. Some people just are willing to pay more than the next guy just to get something and this allows that to happen, bidding wars or pissing contests in real time as it sometime happens on Ebay where sometimes you get an over pay because 2 guys went at it. As a buyer I hate it, as I seller I love it. Cheap money and boredom and cabin fever may be other factors. I think a lot of people are just not used to seeing this big supply of better items so feel it is a great chance to buy what they want. The last and trickiest parts are condition and so-called good value, knowing how much is an over pay, very hard to know without a lot of knowledge. Some people have the money and would rather have the watches than the money. Geno

You are right on target Geno.
Paul
The last resort is KNOWLEDGE!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

Not news to the regular buyers at these sales for years--most all stuff gets bid up early as folks have time to study prices and ask others as to what is what. Because the bidding starts way before the auction and all can view all this 24x7 so no surprises--THUS, NO OR SELDOM RIPS, unless FF makes a mistake.

With exceptions like the Earnshaw and that 18s GF lady at sea GF hunting case, the sale is 90% over before it starts so little fun and even less steals or buys. Plus, the cataloguer knows what is cheap and bids accordingly.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:09 pm Reply with quote
PJR
Chapter Member

So who was that mystery buyer of the Earnshaw at $7,900? He/she was winner or second place on many items.
Paul
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

The only other one i believe was the recased Arnold at 6200--a lot of monry for a movement!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:55 pm Reply with quote
geno
Chapter Member

The insane rips that used to happen at auctions starting in the late 60's for me and the days of going into pawn shops and buying out their entire case of pocket watches are long gone. I'm glad I got to see the glory days of the pocket watch world and glad I am still buying and selling. Geno
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:24 am Reply with quote
interstatetime
Chapter Officer

geno wrote:
The insane rips that used to happen at auctions starting in the late 60's for me and the days of going into pawn shops and buying out their entire case of pocket watches are long gone. I'm glad I got to see the glory days of the pocket watch world and glad I am still buying and selling. Geno

I agree that the glory days are gone...but at least 3 times in the last 6 months I have walked into old jewelers and bought boxes of pocket watches that have been there since...forever. All 3 times there have been a couple of good ones among the junk. All 3 times there has been unmarked gold.

John Cote (Member #105)
Membership Chairman - Ch-149
Past President - Ch-18
http://www.interstatetime.com
FISH?
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » Pocket Watch Value Line for Collectors