|  Chapter 149 Web Site |  Kirx Klox Special Project |  CH 149 MENTORS | 
CHAPTER 149, THE LEADING COLLECTOR'S HOROLOGICAL CLUB, ASSISTS AND EDUCATES ITS MEMBERS>>KEEP UP WITH CURRENT RESEARCH!
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board

The original NAWCC internet chapter
established July 8th, 1990
President & Admin; Jon Hanson
Admin: John LaCambria

Chapter 149, protecting our passion one watch at a time!

Read our Standards of Conduct

login.php?sid=65253f28e667dd209001a295e58223a6 profile.php?mode=register&sid=65253f28e667dd209001a295e58223a6 faq.php?sid=65253f28e667dd209001a295e58223a6 search.php?sid=65253f28e667dd209001a295e58223a6

WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » nawcc issues and ideas » Enjoy THE HORRIFIC scheduled Dork National Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:26 am Reply with quote
Sangamo
Chapter Member

Jon wrote:
Does everyone know that it is quite aways from the convention to ANY hotel/housing in York?

Be prepared to rent a car or hitch rides from hotels to the mart!

Yep been that way since the first show at York... but there seems to be a few new hotels now.

Very few venues now are part of a hotel complex and that is nothing new either.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:38 am Reply with quote
Sangamo
Chapter Member

layout appeared to support about 120 tables, of which about 80-90 were occupied.

open to tableholders and early entry (175) @ 8 am

vendors still streaming in at 830

at ~ quarter to nine regular entry ,,, i saw about 13-16 going through at that time,

no "buzz" in the room... did not note a flurry of sales/money changing hands, but I know some sales were made.

At 11 noted about the same # of "public" entries filing in (10-20 est)

I was out just after noon with cash still in pocket.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:55 am Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

To have a mart (any mart) without joining hotel accommodations IS TOTALLY NUTS especially with security factors of today.

SUPPORT ETHICAL PRACTICES IN HOROLOGY--Keep watches original--DO NOT SWITCH, PART OUT OR "CREATE" PW abortions!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

According to members at the pre-show there is to no nawcc mart trading!!!!

THEREFORE, a 1 day show!

SUPPORT ETHICAL PRACTICES IN HOROLOGY--Keep watches original--DO NOT SWITCH, PART OUT OR "CREATE" PW abortions!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

As reported and verified by 149 members, there was to be no trading today; however, the entrance gates were stormed at and before 2:00 and many sneaked in the poorly guarded back door!

There is only one way to handle a mart:

1. separate the clocks from the watches and smaller goods.

2. Give the clock guys an hour to set up and OPEN THE DOORS AND ALLOW THE FOLKS TO TRADE because that is the reason they attend.

3. Let them all have at it. Then the collectors (what few there may be) and the dealers and everyone else have fair shots at the buys.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Sangamo
Chapter Member

Jon wrote:
As reported and verified by 149 members, there was to be no trading today; however, the entrance gates were stormed at and before 2:00 and many sneaked in the poorly guarded back door!

There is only one way to handle a mart:

1. separate the clocks from the watches and smaller goods.

2. Give the clock guys an hour to set up and OPEN THE DOORS AND ALLOW THE FOLKS TO TRADE because that is the reason they attend.

3. Let them all have at it. Then the collectors (what few there may be) and the dealers and everyone else have fair shots at the buys.

Inconsistent information!

why then were early bird entrances sold at least with pre-registration???? these early bird fees allow entry during set up...if someone is naive enough to believe NO trading is done, then they are in another world !! There was trading done during set up...just as it has in the past (with maybe exception of Ft Lauderdale which would be heresay as i was not there)

I most certainly DID NOT SNEAK in any door, walked in the main entrance as i had paid to do!!

If someone did sneak in that is on THEM Evil or Very Mad and they should be outed in more than one way.

I saw NOTHING prohibiting trading 'early'.... or any notice as such.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

Everyone has their sources...........mine came from committee members and attendees.

Let's not be sensitive here....... I would hope that the folks running these things would try to improve on running marts. What improvements would you suggest Terry? Or, do you think they are wonderful as is.

Let's be honest here, after running hundreds of marts, not many improvements HAVE been made over all these years. Do you think they are very professionally run? Sure many have various opinions, BUT
countless ideas have been offered by myself and many others--just how many can you count that have ever been implimented?

At least for national conventions certain criteria should be standardized but this hasn't happened, sans computerized registration.

I would think that operatives and insiders with the assoc. would welcome suggestions and improvements. Who wants annual or semi annual mysteries of what to expect?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:29 am Reply with quote
geno
Chapter Member

Ok here;s my report. Monday arrived in York. Tuesday went to Museum, which was actually better than I expected. The one thing I would recommend is better lighting for the tall watch displays, very poorly lit and hard to see. Rest of Tuesday cards with the boys. Weds WWT opening, first 2 hours nothing, next 4 hours busy but with the same 5 guys who make my show year after year. Not a big show and no buzz as was stated. I go to these to sell and don't leave my table, no idea what was out there. Second day Thurs. absolutely nothing sold. Friday killed time playing cards until opening which was actually 1pm. Had a nice sale to one of my regulars, did not look at anything and stayed at table until closing. Friday actually for the first time sold some stuff usually dead and also Sat was better than expected. I haven't missed a National since 1972 this one was the worst one for mart hours and logistics just a simple fact. One buddy did catch a very good rip for a profit of $2000. It was 2 hours from Philly airport and an hour from balt. to York so not an easy place to get to, I did get a non stop from Sfo. I had a lot of gold and 21J convertables, gold 21j 88's and and other high grades, also a batch of 992'b and other RR's and nobody even asked to see them very poor demand for certain pockets. All in all did bring a nice chink of cash home. By the way almost nobody pays by check any more and there is lot of incentive to get rid of cash, the exact opposite of years ago due to patriot act money laundering and TSa screening Geno
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:50 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

A quick note about cash.
My train club opens to the Public once a month.
Free admission but $2.50 per ride.
We are currently getting a card reader due to public demand.
They are surprisingly affordable but you have to jump through a lot of hoops to prove who you are before you can get one.
For the same reasons Geno mentioned above.

Proud member of CH149 and Global Horology
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Neilywatch
Chapter Member

I'm confused by the last 2 comments re cash and checks.

I prefer to use checks since I can show expense when I do my business taxes, but when I used to go to meetings people insisted on Cash, and I never had enough on hand.

So now what do people do when someone they dont really know offers to buy with a check?

Many people I know stopped taking CC's and Check cards due to the high fees involved.

Am I understanding this correctly?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:09 am Reply with quote
Bryan
Chapter Member

I had 2 people that I had no prior dealings with who wanted to pay with biz checks - they both eventually "found" cash when I told them no checks.

NAWCC#132532
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

With all the monsoon rains were loading docks provided for the clock folks?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:26 pm Reply with quote
rpnewman
Chapter Member

Below my quick observations without the benefit of getting any official numbers yet from the convention committee. Marion and Lu and the entire HQ staff did an outstanding job pulling off the largest event that the NAWCC has ever done.

It began with a "thank you" reception at the museum for the "For All Time" donors that was attended by executives from Hamilton, Seiko, Vortic, RGM. The GM from Seiko personally attended from Tokyo and talked about the world-leading virtual reality software that they donated to the museum that allows a VR watch-engineering experience. Awesome. We also announced that the For All Time campaign exceeded its milestone of achieving a 7.5 million endowment balance by the National Convention. We're getting good traction. Huge thanks to all of you who contributed! As a side note, our bottom-line financials are improving every quarter and rate of membership losses also seems to be stabilizing - - too soon to tell for sure.

Back to the Convention - - the Gala party that had lectures and museum tours attracted over 800 members. It was packed and covered by two live network TV stations. At least one lecturer live-streamed. FYI, most lectures (if permitted) were taped and will be available in the future. Three huge tents with tables and chairs were put up in the museum parking lot. Food was great and weather cooperated. We also had 3 outstanding temporary exhibits in the museum, 1) an outstanding display of early American shelf and tall clocks recently donated to the museum by Stu Gottdenker, 2) French carriage clocks that included items from 4 world-renowned private collections including the greatest collection in private hands, and 3) the wrist chronograph display that I think was also the greatest collection ever assembled to-date. All lectures in the museum auditorium were packed – standing room only and exhibit tours in the museum were also huge. There was excitement and buzz that the NAWCC hasn't experienced in decades. The Saturday evening banquet was also sold out. The British Horology lecture by Jim Cipra on George Graham Mean Solar Clocks went through 3 bottles of sherry - - always a good metric to gauge how much fun people are having…

This National had a total of over 20 educational events taking place every day from Thursday through Sunday. Notwithstanding lots of opportunities to have a better overall schedule, members interested in education had plenty to do every day if they wanted to participate and there were opportunities to network with many renowned makers and collectors including Jeff Stein, Carlo Stepanians, David Walter and Richard Ketchen who had an outstanding display that included three of his Fasoldt inspired precision clocks.

The mart was sold out with somewhere in the neighborhood of 850 tables. Again, the overall schedule could have been better. Early bird began at 2pm on Friday. Saturday was full. When I last saw the Mart Room on Sunday at about 10 am, there were still over 500 tables setup. Impending rain may have factored in dealers packing-up decisions.

I understand that there were also very brisk sales for tables for the National Convention next year in Springfield, Mass. The National in 2020 will be Dayton (that will be a vastly improved venue than when we were there last). 2021 is undecided. The Springfield Convention Committee needs volunteers, and the National Convention Committee also needs more participation. Contact me if you're willing to loan your thoughts, hands and legs to improve the experience.

Rich Newman
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:33 pm Reply with quote
geno
Chapter Member

Neil if I don't know them chances are they won't get the watch if they pay by check and can't get anyone to vouch for them. Under $500 I would probably take the check after reading the person and the situation. A lot of guys are concerned about going through airport security with a lot of cash. I was coming back from a Florida regional about 5 years ago and my flight got delayed and diverted to Charlotte. When I went through security the second time they asked me if I had more than $10,000 in cash which I did and I responded yes. The women delayed me and started filling out some forms and I said I thought they were only concerned with overseas travel and amounts over $10,000. She stated under the patriot act they can stop anybody as part of a money laundering provision. They never counted or saw the money. 2 cops come over and ran my license and after about 5 minutes I was free to procede. I had one guy buy his check back from me in York when he got the cash. There or other reasons for this and no need to get into that. Geno
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:12 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

Neilywatch wrote:
I'm confused by the last 2 comments re cash and checks.

I prefer to use checks since I can show expense when I do my business taxes, but when I used to go to meetings people insisted on Cash, and I never had enough on hand.

So now what do people do when someone they dont really know offers to buy with a check?

Many people I know stopped taking CC's and Check cards due to the high fees involved.

Am I understanding this correctly?

That's one of the advantages of a card reader. The cash goes directly into your account. Around here the banks guarantee this so if the transaction is accept and goes through you are set.
This is good for business but not so good if you are trading under the table which again, around here, is becoming harder and harder to do.

For me it is often easier to use my card to buy a pie or a cup of coffee than pay cash. Even the fish and chip shop has one now.

The devices are portable and about the size of the early "brick" mobile phones.

Proud member of CH149 and Global Horology
Enjoy THE HORRIFIC scheduled Dork National
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » nawcc issues and ideas