|  Chapter 149 Web Site |  Kirx Klox Special Project |  CH 149 MENTORS | 
CHAPTER 149, THE LEADING COLLECTOR'S HOROLOGICAL CLUB, ASSISTS AND EDUCATES ITS MEMBERS>>KEEP UP WITH CURRENT RESEARCH!
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board

The original NAWCC internet chapter
established July 8th, 1990
President & Admin; Jon Hanson
Admin: John LaCambria

Chapter 149, protecting our passion one watch at a time!

Read our Standards of Conduct

login.php?sid=09cf82b7abb4bb29faa82b3d90cf33f2 profile.php?mode=register&sid=09cf82b7abb4bb29faa82b3d90cf33f2 faq.php?sid=09cf82b7abb4bb29faa82b3d90cf33f2 search.php?sid=09cf82b7abb4bb29faa82b3d90cf33f2

WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » Pocket Watch Value Line for Collectors » HOT POTATO watches Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:57 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

The Stanley register I linked to previously is the work of a bunch of people over a lot of years.

The first printed one I have is May 1978

Forget prices here this is not about that.

It's about getting the facts out there so that if I decide to buy one of these there is somewhere to go to find out exactly what I am buying.

The printed one I have is pretty basic. No pictures and no histories but the internet has allowed the thing to take of and become a really informative resource on the subject.

It would now be difficult for someone to fake one of these even though reproduction parts are in plentiful supply.
Reproductions are out there but everyone knows about them and they are priced accordingly.

Wouldn't such a thing be good for Howard watch collectors for example.

You could still debate prices and condition etc but wouldn't it be nice to have a definitive answer on what is original and what is not.

Fakers and spin merchants can only operate when the truth is difficult to pin down.

Appears to me every new Howard collector has to do his time re learning what is already known by others instead of adding to the pool of knowledge.

I get what Jon is saying.
He likens watch collecting to a bunch of people playing poker with none willing to show their hand.

I think that is a bit sad.

Proud member of CH149 and Global Horology
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:45 pm Reply with quote
geno
Chapter Member

No further comment, I hope this thread dies a swift death. Geno
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:12 pm Reply with quote
interstatetime
Chapter Officer

HOWARD wrote:
Actually, most of the watch people are of the "how much is it worth" mentality.

Flipping or as the title states ("hot potato") watches does not allow time for study.

Howard

geno wrote:
No further comment, I hope this thread dies a swift death. Geno

Amen to both of my friends.

John Cote (Member #105)
Membership Chairman - Ch-149
Past President - Ch-18
http://www.interstatetime.com
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Ben_hutcherson
Chapter Member

StephanG wrote:

I thought about a web site but upon reflection realised it would be a waste of time as it would never get the support it needed to become relevent.

As for MG's there are loads of books.
The service parts list by BMC with the exploded views are worth their weight. AKD3227

I also have the definitive book of which you speak. Can't get at it at the moment but it tells you every change right through production and exactly when it came in. The one I had was an Aussi built one and they were different again.

Happy to look up something if you need it.

Hmm, you get mad on here when someone tells you to buy a book, but now you're telling me that all the MGB information is in books?

Does anyone see the double standard here?

FWIW, I do have a copy of Clausinger("the book") along with a small collection of service bulletins and the like.

Guess what, though, I learn more by getting out, looking at other cars, and talking to folks who know. When the big show was in town this past summer, a couple of us were standing around one morning. There were three cars in a line, with mine in the middle and two painted different and lighter shades of green than mine. We had a good discussion and concluded that mine was indeed dark British Racing Green, as I'd maintained, the one in front of me was BRG, and the one behind was Mallard Green.

I spent an hour on the phone earlier this evening with my parts guy, basically breaking down a couple of options I had on parts for a specific repair.

There again, you claim the information is out there, but then you're saying that it's in the same sort of places where watch information is available.

One last thing-there are plenty of people alive who are the only the owner of their cars. There are folks living who worked at the factory or were trained their in service. Heck, the guy who designed the thing is still alive! How many folks living bought an 1872 American new?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

SG says, "I get what Jon is saying.
He likens watch collecting to a bunch of people playing poker with none willing to show their hand."

I NEVER STATED THAT. And, I do not play poker--never have or even tried.

What you refuse to comprehend is there s a difference between dealing, casual collecting and EXTREME COLLECTING. I am in the EXTREME category. I have assisted countless collectors, many of which are here either by personal contact (phone and emails) or on this MB (and others before I was kicked off for calling out a thief).

FOR THE LAST TIME--if I educated everyone with 65 years of my collecting knowledge, study an research ALL ON MY NICKEL, then everyone else would know what I know. I WOULD BE COMPETING AGAINST MYSELF. Then there are several other factors--common sense and good judgement which cannot be taught!

SUPPORT ETHICAL PRACTICES IN HOROLOGY--Keep watches original--DO NOT SWITCH, PART OUT OR "CREATE" PW abortions!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:07 am Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

Hmm, you get mad on here when someone tells you to buy a book, but now you're telling me that all the MGB information is in books?

Does anyone see the double standard here?

I have no trouble buying books. Which is the definitive book on Howard ??????????????

Also I did not tell you to go buy the book but offered to look stuff up for you. Was I silly for doing that.

FWIW, I do have a copy of Clausinger("the book") along with a small collection of service bulletins and the like.

Guess what, though, I learn more by getting out, looking at other cars, and talking to folks who know. When the big show was in town this past summer, a couple of us were standing around one morning. There were three cars in a line, with mine in the middle and two painted different and lighter shades of green than mine. We had a good discussion and concluded that mine was indeed dark British Racing Green, as I'd maintained, the one in front of me was BRG, and the one behind was Mallard Green

Couldn't agree more but many people can't do that bucause such people and such shows don't happen where they are.

I spent an hour on the phone earlier this evening with my parts guy, basically breaking down a couple of options I had on parts for a specific repair.

Again a perfect solution but such watch experts are a bit light on around these parts.

There again, you claim the information is out there, but then you're saying that it's in the same sort of places where watch information is available.

I would not have a problem if watch information was as easy to find as MG data but as well you know it is not.

One last thing-there are plenty of people alive who are the only the owner of their cars. There are folks living who worked at the factory or were trained their in service. Heck, the guy who designed the thing is still alive! How many folks living bought an 1872 American new?[/i]

All I can do here is refere you back to the Stanley register.
Haven't made them for 100 years and you can quickly find out everything you ever wanted to know.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
doc ron
Chapter Member

back to the original topic of hot potato watches actually these days with eBay the watches get recycled over and over with up grading cases case scrapping and so forth the smarter collector will soon recognize this and buy directly from the original seller so to cut of the middleman

cheaper watches mean more watches and this is good

doc ron

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
KennyHabeeb
Chapter Member

Jon wrote:

I have all of the original records for the early Waltham watches--all you would need to do is copy same; however, much of the Waltham database is incorrect. Therefore, it needs to be restarted from scratch.

One of the things I really like about watch collecting is the surprises one comes across, which is only possible because of the sheer number made and length of time that companies were around to make them. The combinations in movement type, finishes, date made, case, quality, and condition make it endlessly fascinating.
I used to collect antique woodworking tools (I still have them, but I'm not adding). I have a friend out in Woodstock N.Y. who used to live here on the West Coast and frequented the Santa Cruz flea market every weekend. When visiting him, I would bring my latest finds for show-and-tell. Inevitably he would get up and tell me to wait a minute while he looked for his own collected version, and it would almost always be better than my own for quality or condition, or even some unexpected feature. But it was actually more fun than deflating. After all, he'd been looking much longer, and with better access, so it was expected.
I imagine that would be the experience of most members here after a visit to Jon's place.
Some of the senior members here have been upgrading and culling for many years. That work has taken all the knowledge they could soak up from all sources for years - with a lot spent at the right time and in the right place for the right reason.
Why should they look at something common or something they don't need for their particular collection?

Last edited by KennyHabeeb on Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

Ben_hutcherson wrote:

I do have a copy of Clausinger("the book") along with a small collection of service bulletins and the like.

That is the best one. Just found mine.

The MGB Service Parts list AKD 3227 is also great if you want to get serious about restoration.

200 pages of nothing but exploded views and part numbers.

Shows every screw and washer.

HOT POTATO watches
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » Pocket Watch Value Line for Collectors