|  Chapter 149 Web Site |  Kirx Klox Special Project |  CH 149 MENTORS | 
CHAPTER 149, THE LEADING COLLECTOR'S HOROLOGICAL CLUB, ASSISTS AND EDUCATES ITS MEMBERS>>KEEP UP WITH CURRENT RESEARCH!
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board

The original NAWCC internet chapter
established July 8th, 1990
President & Admin; Jon Hanson
Admin: John LaCambria

Chapter 149, protecting our passion one watch at a time!

Read our Standards of Conduct

login.php?sid=9ae52295da4ef4ce6d1401d31cd9a0ea profile.php?mode=register&sid=9ae52295da4ef4ce6d1401d31cd9a0ea faq.php?sid=9ae52295da4ef4ce6d1401d31cd9a0ea search.php?sid=9ae52295da4ef4ce6d1401d31cd9a0ea

WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » Pocket Watch Value Line for Collectors » HOT POTATO watches Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:17 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

Sure kill the messenger.

Meantime NAWCC membership still declines and the number of new collectors continues to fall.

Chapter membership DOWN.
Mart attendances DOWN.
National attendances DOWN.
Watch prices DOWN.

So we will just keep plodding along the same as always and do what.

Wait for the next big turn around.

Hope you are not holding your breath.

Proud member of CH149 and Global Horology
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:54 pm Reply with quote
HOWARD
Chapter Member

Hello Stephan,,

I suggest that you might consider moving to the states and travel around with a soapbox and attend all sports events, antique shows and antique auctions throughout the country.

Howard
charter member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

I suggest, Stephan, that you take this up with Tom B. heir apparent to the assoc CHAIR on his forum.

SUPPORT ETHICAL PRACTICES IN HOROLOGY--Keep watches original--DO NOT SWITCH, PART OUT OR "CREATE" PW abortions!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:12 am Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

All I did was stir the possum a bit and we are up to page 4.

Wish I could figure out how to get that level of interest in some of the picture threads I have started.

Watches are much more interesting to talk about and look at than this lot.

Regarding hot potato watches...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:45 am Reply with quote
Greg Davis
Friend of 149

oh... I see we aren't talking about that any more. Smile

Anyway, I don't think I have any. I was never one to buy into fantasy distinctions that create faux rarities.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:33 am Reply with quote
darrah
Chapter Member

I might not care about all the conversation here or wish to join in but it is the best that has been posted in long time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:34 am Reply with quote
Ben_hutcherson
Chapter Member

Stephan,

I've heard you complain endlessly about this perceived lack of knowledge about pocket watches.

The fact is that the knowledge is usually out there. Sometimes, it's in books. Sometimes it's in a collectors notes, and you seem to think that they're obligated to share everything with the collecting community. Sometimes, the watches are simply in collections where people don't know what they have.

Sometimes, too, if the information you want hasn't already been compiled by someone else, you have to do your own legwork to get it. Go to libraries and read through old jeweler's circulars. Go find local newspaper with articles about the watch company. Go to where the information might be uncovered. This is how a lot of what's known has been assembled, and as I said if someone else hasn't already done the work-that's something that you can put your name on and then distribute the information however you wish.

Just as an example, if you ever see Bob Arnold at a show, he walks around and writes down EVERY SINGLE Hampden and New York he sees. He has already published one book, and says he's working on another. He put in a lot of legwork to assemble that information, though.

Neil has unearthed a lot of things about Walthams in the past couple of years that no one knew-he's done it-again-by observing and paying attention.

Heck, you don't even have to travel to marts now a days(although at marts you will see stuff come out from under the tables you might not see elsewhere). Look at Ebay on a daily basis and you can see thousands of watches and make your own observations from the listings.

I've been collecting for 6 years now. I know a lot more than when I started, but the more I learn the more I realize how much I really don't know. I'm still looking for answers to specific questions, but sometimes even the folks in the best position to give that answer don't know it.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:34 am Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

Bottom line: who in their right mind would compete with himself?

SUPPORT ETHICAL PRACTICES IN HOROLOGY--Keep watches original--DO NOT SWITCH, PART OUT OR "CREATE" PW abortions!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:43 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

It doesn't have to be a competition.

It could become a collaboration like this one - http://www.stanleyregister.net/
but perhaps I am just a dreamer.

Anyway I am glad some enjoyed the thread and am please to see a number of different people posting.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Ben_hutcherson
Chapter Member

Stephan,

You seem to like to point to random websites, and there's nothing stopping you from putting together a similar one on watches.

I will say, though, that when I first got my MG I got a LOT of help online. Ultimately, though, when it comes to originality the correct answer is "buy the book." In the case of MGBs, there is one "book" but none the less I have it.

There's a lot of little nit-picky information still that can pretty much only get by asking someone...
the very competitive US market
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

IGNORANT REPLY, Stephan, as you ABSOLUTELY do not understand American watch competition.

Watch competition is those with the knowledge that collect against those who lack it or know little but want money; therefore, if those with knowledge give out all of their knowledge and still continue to collect they would be competing against THEMSELVES or those who want/got their knowledge in which to profit !

It is really quite simple!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:44 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

Ben_hutcherson wrote:
Stephan,

You seem to like to point to random websites, and there's nothing stopping you from putting together a similar one on watches.

I will say, though, that when I first got my MG I got a LOT of help online. Ultimately, though, when it comes to originality the correct answer is "buy the book." In the case of MGBs, there is one "book" but none the less I have it.

There's a lot of little nit-picky information still that can pretty much only get by asking someone...

I thought about a web site but upon reflection realised it would be a waste of time as it would never get the support it needed to become relevent.

As for MG's there are loads of books.
The service parts list by BMC with the exploded views are worth their weight. AKD3227

I also have the definitive book of which you speak. Can't get at it at the moment but it tells you every change right through production and exactly when it came in. The one I had was an Aussi built one and they were different again.

Happy to look up something if you need it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:56 am Reply with quote
Neilywatch
Chapter Member

Steve -

I am probably in the minority opinion here, but I have posted about this before, so this is why I really didn't enter into the discussion until now.

I have no problem taking what I know and what I have found and building a website posting all for people to see. I also wanted to buy out Tom McIntyre's ownership of the Waltham Database and start updating it and working out all the corrections - which is prob much more relevant to the hobby.

But, what I am finding is that most people dont really care. They pursue very specific models, or they only collect the "good" stuff. And showing people what a watch should look like with correct parts is not going to stop people from cobbling together stuff and selling for a high dollar. The price guide is to blame for pricing stuff very high. Not only is the PG out of date, it dates from a time when much of that stuff was hiding in collections. Like Jon, said, never have I seen so much stuff come out of hiding in the last three years alone!

And yet people are STILL following PG prices. I have trouble buying certain things people think this worth x amount of dollars and wont sell it for less.

Like you also observed, the NAWCC wont enforce anything needed to keep this hobby clean.

There is simply too much wrong with the hobby as it stands for it to be fixed.

I think your heart is in the right place, but its like using a sand dune to stop a hurricane -

In the end all the lower end stuff and franken stuff will get recycled, and the remaining good stuff will be for the people with deep pockets.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:35 am Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

Neil,

I have all of the original records for the early Waltham watches--all you would need to do is copy same; however, much of the Waltham database is incorrect. Therefore, it needs to be restarted from scratch.

And, I can tell you that folk are lazy and don't care to" invest" in knowledge--I still have to personally explain U S Marion jeweling and variations to seasoned collectors. The info is right there in my Marion book.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:59 am Reply with quote
HOWARD
Chapter Member

Actually, most of the watch people are of the "how much is it worth" mentality.

Flipping or as the title states ("hot potato") watches does not allow time for study.

Howard

HOT POTATO watches
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » Pocket Watch Value Line for Collectors