|  Chapter 149 Web Site |  Kirx Klox Special Project |  CH 149 MENTORS | 
CHAPTER 149, THE LEADING COLLECTOR'S HOROLOGICAL CLUB, ASSISTS AND EDUCATES ITS MEMBERS>>KEEP UP WITH CURRENT RESEARCH!
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board

The original NAWCC internet chapter
established July 8th, 1990
President & Admin; Jon Hanson
Admin: John LaCambria

Chapter 149, protecting our passion one watch at a time!

Read our Standards of Conduct

login.php?sid=80801a9d7dc6875b29baa4d3407ac247 profile.php?mode=register&sid=80801a9d7dc6875b29baa4d3407ac247 faq.php?sid=80801a9d7dc6875b29baa4d3407ac247 search.php?sid=80801a9d7dc6875b29baa4d3407ac247

WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » Pocket Watch Value Line for Collectors » FISH? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:33 am Reply with quote
JohnL
Site Admin

Jon wrote:
THE BIG QUESTION: WHAT WILL THESE NEWBIE BUYERS (hedge fund types) THINK WHEN BETTER EXAMPLES IN MULTIPLES SHOW UP IN FUTURE AUCTIONS?

Jon: Exactly, ala Ball Wind indictors and 18s Rockford Indicators!

where both had brought really HIGH prices, then subsequent sales after these prices on BOTH dropped significantly!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:40 am Reply with quote
JohnL
Site Admin

interstatetime wrote:
JohnL wrote:
gawd, insane prices...

who said the watch markets soft, a lot of the watches went for world records considering the state of the economy!

I had a couple of bids in that were quickly trampled.

What in particular do you think were the overly high prices John and Jon. I was surprised about some of the Hamiltons...especially the For RR Service 16s which were almost back up to previous highs.

One thing I will say is that Diana has done a good job of advertising these auctions on social media. Some of the pieces that went really high like the beautiful gold filled case with sailboat got a zillion likes when she put them on the watch forums. I think this has recruited a lot of bidders outside the regulars.

John: The 990 fishscale brought (IMO) alot. I had 2 consecutively numbered 990s, and couldnt get 75% for BOTH, of what this ( 1 ) 990 brought...

THe markets funny, some stuff you expect not to bring alot, brings crazy money.

I think this is the trend going forward, tough to stomach as a buyer, but great as the seller!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:43 am Reply with quote
geno
Chapter Member

interstatetime wrote:
geno wrote:
The insane rips that used to happen at auctions starting in the late 60's for me and the days of going into pawn shops and buying out their entire case of pocket watches are long gone. I'm glad I got to see the glory days of the pocket watch world and glad I am still buying and selling. Geno

I agree that the glory days are gone...but at least 3 times in the last 6 months I have walked into old jewelers and bought boxes of pocket watches that have been there since...forever. All 3 times there have been a couple of good ones among the junk. All 3 times there has been unmarked gold.
John you are fortunate almost all the pawn shops and jewelers here put the stuff on Ebay
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:13 pm Reply with quote
interstatetime
Chapter Officer

geno wrote:
John you are fortunate almost all the pawn shops and jewelers here put the stuff on Ebay

The pawn shops here mostly do but some will still call me about pockets. I get most of my stuff from Jewelers. When I say you at DelMar last year I bought a bunch of stuff from beach town jewelers from Solana up the coast. Nothing great but at least a few watches.

John Cote (Member #105)
Membership Chairman - Ch-149
Past President - Ch-18
http://www.interstatetime.com
FISH?
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » Pocket Watch Value Line for Collectors