|  Chapter 149 Web Site |  Kirx Klox Special Project |  CH 149 MENTORS | 
CHAPTER 149, THE LEADING COLLECTOR'S HOROLOGICAL CLUB, ASSISTS AND EDUCATES ITS MEMBERS>>KEEP UP WITH CURRENT RESEARCH!
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board

The original NAWCC internet chapter
established July 8th, 1990
President & Admin; Jon Hanson
Admin: John LaCambria

Chapter 149, protecting our passion one watch at a time!

Read our Standards of Conduct

login.php?sid=cf5434510cf95fee907b65a602649d1e profile.php?mode=register&sid=cf5434510cf95fee907b65a602649d1e faq.php?sid=cf5434510cf95fee907b65a602649d1e search.php?sid=cf5434510cf95fee907b65a602649d1e

WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » Pocket Watch Value Line for Collectors » the latest up to the minute quick PW market analysis Goto page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Bryan
Chapter Member

StephanG wrote:

Other than them being mindless or tight arses.

Unfortunately, as illustrated by the lead posters on the NAWCC MB for this same thread, these usually go hand-in-hand

An accumulation of bargains a collection does not make!

NAWCC#132532
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:09 pm Reply with quote
geno
Chapter Member

Getting screwed is part of the learning process, everybody gets screwed in the beginning, the smart ones adapt and learn quickly and the dumb ones just keep getting screwed. Another thing they don't learn quickly enough is putting too much faith in the false gods and fake mavens who are more than happy to screw them blind, as has happened in the past. Geno
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:47 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

geno wrote:
Getting screwed is part of the learning process, everybody gets screwed in the beginning, the smart ones adapt and learn quickly and the dumb ones just keep getting screwed. Another thing they don't learn quickly enough is putting too much faith in the false gods and fake mavens who are more than happy to screw them blind, as has happened in the past. Geno

There in perhaps lies part of the problem.

Now is not the past.

There are less watches about, less opportunity to learn by the stare and compare method and watches are a lot more expensive.
You can't buy boxes of stuff now like you could 20 years ago because these days the dealers snap it up and sell it off piece by piece or scrap it.

Also there are way less watch collectors so it is a simple fact that there are way less people to ask assuming the ones you do ask will give you an honest answer rather than one that favours their own agenda.
How would the new guy know the difference.

Screwing people is not teaching them. It is making them go do something else.

There was also no such thing as the internet back when you first got your collecting feet wet. If someone has a bad experience today they do not keep it to themselves. They tell the world.

Things work different now. That's why newspapers are dying, bookshops are dying, cinema's are in trouble, even bricks and mortar retail is struggling to keep going because today their competition is just a couple of mouse clicks away.

If you are waiting for the good old days to come back I am afraid you will be waiting a very long time.

Proud member of CH149 and Global Horology
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:17 pm Reply with quote
geno
Chapter Member

I'm not waiting for anything, I buy and sell every day and keep what I like. You want a simple answer to a complex hobby, there is none, you have to get it your self and it takes years to get it right. The collector who is impatient and has to rely on someone else is doomed. There is plenty of merchandise out there right now if you know where to look. Some collectors can only buy and have a hard time selling, that's a mistake, they should strive to upgrade their collection and sell the dogs or the bottom rung watches to pay for the better ones. Geno
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

COLLECTING IS A PATIENCE GAME--it is a marathon and not a sprint.

Do your homework and stay away from the chest pounders and other supposed "heavywieights" who think they know!

Personally I have never relied on PGs or "experts" salespitches.

I rely on one person --MYSELF!

SUPPORT ETHICAL PRACTICES IN HOROLOGY--Keep watches original--DO NOT SWITCH, PART OUT OR "CREATE" PW abortions!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:33 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

I agree with you Jon.

I always rely on my own ideas and do my own thing.

But if screwing new players is the norm then what will they learn and what kind of collectors will they become.

Will they listen when you tell them, don't switch parts, don't polish cases etc etc.

I think not.

More likely they will learn anything goes to make a profit.

Proud member of CH149 and Global Horology
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

A fair number have or continue to follow my lead and expertise--my phone rings constantly, not nearlyas much as ten yrs ago but the fellas sill call me.
And remember, I have been banned now for ten years from the green board, so many of the folks think I have diseappeared.

Tagline: The fellas at the assoc refuse to do the right thing and highlight chapters, all chapters. If folks knew specialized chapters existed, there would be more members and action. Too many members of 149 have passed on. Some of us are working on this and if we got cooperation from some of our current accoc insiders and directors and past members things would be much better for all. The current nawcc president is a chapter member but has done nothing to garner chapter support or visibility. I guess they enjoy the CW!

SUPPORT ETHICAL PRACTICES IN HOROLOGY--Keep watches original--DO NOT SWITCH, PART OUT OR "CREATE" PW abortions!
the latest up to the minute quick PW market analysis
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » Pocket Watch Value Line for Collectors