|  Chapter 149 Web Site |  Kirx Klox Special Project |  CH 149 MENTORS | 
CHAPTER 149, THE LEADING COLLECTOR'S HOROLOGICAL CLUB, ASSISTS AND EDUCATES ITS MEMBERS>>KEEP UP WITH CURRENT RESEARCH!
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board

The original NAWCC internet chapter
established July 8th, 1990
President & Admin; Jon Hanson
Admin: John LaCambria

Chapter 149, protecting our passion one watch at a time!

Read our Standards of Conduct

login.php?sid=992dad8b73056b1d226c93db4ff245c1 profile.php?mode=register&sid=992dad8b73056b1d226c93db4ff245c1 faq.php?sid=992dad8b73056b1d226c93db4ff245c1 search.php?sid=992dad8b73056b1d226c93db4ff245c1

WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » Wrist Watch discussions » "Special Consideration for Insiders"
"Special Consideration for Insiders"
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:42 am Reply with quote
interstatetime
Chapter Officer

Damn insider BoD members getting special consideration again...

NAWCC in the NEWS!

Saturday there was an article in the fashion section of the Wall Street Journal on the Casion G-Shock watch. John Cote, NAWCC member and Board Director has a couple of quotes in the article on behalf of the NAWCC. The online version is here...

PRIME TIME Sting at Sport Aid in 1986 alongside its organizer Bob Geldof and Mr. Geldof’s then-girlfriend Paula Yates. Photo: Getty Images

By: Wilbert L. Cooper
Nov. 21, 2018 3:52 p.m. ET

ON MAY 25, 1986, rock star Sting was snapped at a Sport Aid fun-run event in London’s Hyde Park brandishing a bulky electronic watch. By choosing to wear a plastic G-Shock, the Police frontman was as much ahead of his time as he was in embracing world music and using celebrity as a platform for activism. G-Shocks, a then-little-known line of Casios, anticipated casual, abuse-proof watches to come.

Having hit stores just a few years prior and far from an immediate hit, the Japanese digital watch represented some of the most advanced horological innovations of its day. G-Shock inventor Kikuo Ibe once said that he destroyed more than 200 prototypes in his pursuit of the “Triple Ten,” which refers to the watches’ ability to survive a 10-meter fall, stay waterproof for 10 bars (a maritime unit of pressure) and boast a 10-year battery life.
At the star-studded 1986 Sport Aid event, Sudanese champion runner Omar Khalifa was greeted by Margaret Thatcher and Princess Diana. In this image (right) Sting wears a notably low-key navy blue sweater to photograph the action, but his almost aggressively functional Casio stands out. The hardy watch clearly departs from the polished timepieces you’d expect a celebrity to wear in the mid-80s at the height of his fame.

A new-gen G-Shock and rival digital watches. From left: Ironman Transit Watch, $50, timex.com; Core Alu Deep Black Watch, $429, suunto.com; Casio G-Shock DW5750E-1 Watch, $99, gshock.com Photo: F. Martin Ramin/The Wall Street Journal, Styling by Anne Cardenas

G-Shock’s reputation as the toughest watch was cemented by the 1994 thriller “Speed,” in which a Los Angeles police officer (played by Keanu Reeves) disarms bombs, dodges shotgun shells and decapitates a disgruntled psycho while wearing a G-Shock. After military and law enforcement sorts adopted the watch, skaters and streetwear enthusiasts followed suit in the late 1990s, making it a style staple.

“So much of what streetwear was and is involves reinterpreting classic sportswear and military styles with more of a fashion look,” said Greg Rivera, vice president of the streetwear label Mishka, which is preparing to release a collaboration with G-Shock in 2019. “The G-Shock is something a soldier would wear, so it makes sense that a street soldier would wear it, too.”
While Apple turns its timepieces into high-tech personal assistants and rappers tout traditional timepieces like those from Patek Philippe, digital watches remain a nostalgic style standard. And G-Shocks continue to maintain a fan base among active guys. “If you surf, skate, climb or dive, the G-Shock will withstand the rigors of your lifestyle much better than almost any connected watch,” said John Cote, an Indianapolis-based director on the board of the National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors. “In the world of mechanical watches, dive watches like the Rolex Submariner do sort of the same thing, but for a lot more money.”

Today, you’ll find far more G-Shock options than when Sting wore his in 1986, from $50 basic sport watches to colorful collaborations with high-end designers like Martin Margiela and artists like Takashi Murakami. New York menswear designer Robert gorilla, who put his own spin on the timepiece, said, of the G-Shock’s timelessness: “It is just a classic. It reminds me of my teenage years.”

Mr. Ibe, the watch’s inventor, insisted there’s no right way to wear a G-Shock: “Wear it any way you want as long as it makes you feel confident and happy.”

[/u]

Last edited by interstatetime on Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

John Cote (Member #105)
Membership Chairman - Ch-149
Past President - Ch-18
http://www.interstatetime.com
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:18 am Reply with quote
pocwatjim
Chapter Member

John,
The link won't let you read the article unless they get your email and $1. copy and paste it.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:34 am Reply with quote
interstatetime
Chapter Officer

That's weird...I could read it this morning. I can't read it now so I can't copy and paste it.

Anyway, it is an article about the Casio G-Shock watch. The article appears in the Men's Fashion section of yesterday's (Saturday, 11/24/2018) WSJ. The author wanted a wristwatch nerd to interview on the subject so he called the NAWCC. Eventually he got to me. I first asked him is this was a going to be an "advertorial." He said no. I told him I was not really a fan of electronic watches but that I knew a bit of the G-Shock history and he said that would be fine. He sent me a few questions. The questions and my answers were about two typed pages. They used about two sentences.

John Cote (Member #105)
Past President - Ch-18
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Neilywatch
Chapter Member

Laughing

John -

What is it with these watches? Yes, they are popular, but I don't understand why.

They are overengineered and take 20 minutes of my time to set!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:57 pm Reply with quote
interstatetime
Chapter Officer

Neilywatch wrote:
Laughing

John -

What is it with these watches? Yes, they are popular, but I don't understand why.

They are overengineered and take 20 minutes of my time to set!

I have never owned one but I have had people ask me to set them...because I am a watch guy...I have tried but they are not at all intuitive to mess with. I guess I have always admired them for their ruggedness and their price point. If by over engineered you mean the actual physical design I am not sure I agree. The do last forever and can really take a beating.

John Cote (Member #105)
Past President - Ch-18
"Special Consideration for Insiders"
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » Wrist Watch discussions