|  Chapter 149 Web Site |  Kirx Klox Special Project |  CH 149 MENTORS | 
CHAPTER 149, THE LEADING COLLECTOR'S HOROLOGICAL CLUB, ASSISTS AND EDUCATES ITS MEMBERS>>KEEP UP WITH CURRENT RESEARCH!
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board

The original NAWCC internet chapter
established July 8th, 1990
President & Admin; Jon Hanson
Admin: John LaCambria

Chapter 149, protecting our passion one watch at a time!

Read our Standards of Conduct

login.php?sid=8caf5cc42710b2bf6e44079c355a7284 profile.php?mode=register&sid=8caf5cc42710b2bf6e44079c355a7284 faq.php?sid=8caf5cc42710b2bf6e44079c355a7284 search.php?sid=8caf5cc42710b2bf6e44079c355a7284

WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » Richard Newman, nawcc chairman » Can you explain the change in Mart requirements?
Can you explain the change in Mart requirements?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Neilywatch
Chapter Member

Hi -

I got an email a few days ago from a Secretary of my local NAWCC chapter who states that there was a change made by the Board - to allow merchandise that is NOT horologically related?!

Can you confirm this?

If it true, why this decision?

Thanks, Neil Wohl 0122281

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:24 pm Reply with quote
pocwatjim
Chapter Member

Neil,
At the last BOD meeting some discussion was made to allow non-horological items in the mart rooms. Most regional's have rules in their regional rules that say non horological items are not allowed but it is rarely enforced.

You know some tables have jewelry or coins etc, and if enforced it usually ends up in a fight or hurt feelings

Here is the discussion going on about it on the MB.

https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/new-board-policy-nonhorological-items-in-regionals.148314/

You have to be a member to view it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:28 am Reply with quote
Neilywatch
Chapter Member

OK Thanks.

I am still a NAWCC member but I don't log onto the message board.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:49 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

I would have thought the punters are the best people to decide.

If know one is interested the stuff won't sell and the trader won't waste his time bringing it again.

If it does sell SOMEONE wants to buy it and mart attendance goes up.

How can that be a bad thing ?????

Proud member of CH149 and Global Horology
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:06 pm Reply with quote
geno
Chapter Member

So at Florida and the National is ok to sell jewelry or coins at the marts officially? Geno
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:15 pm Reply with quote
interstatetime
Chapter Officer

geno wrote:
So at Florida and the National is ok to sell jewelry or coins at the marts officially? Geno

We need to wait for the final language but there will be limits. I don't see any reason to make a big stink about some jewelry...maybe a few coins. Items for sale should be mostly horological in nature.

John Cote (Member #105)
Membership Chairman - Ch-149
Past President - Ch-18
http://www.interstatetime.com
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Ben_hutcherson
Chapter Member

I've said for years that at Lexington I'm not going to call down a table for a tray of rings or fountain pens.

Heck, I've BOUGHT fountain pens at shows before-the Mont Blanc I use every day came from the Lexington show last year.

A few years ago, I remember a slow Friday afternoon where one guy out of Texas pulled out a wind-up train(not sure if it was Marx, Ives, or someone else) and set it up on the empty table next to him. No one said anything to me about it, but honestly I passed it under the same "clockwork mechanism" standard usually used to justify music boxes.

Usually, I get a half dozen "warning signs" in the regional packet that are supposed to be placed on tables that are caught/reported selling non-horological items. I've never used one. Instead, I got a single piece of paper with the new policy printed on it.

There's also cameras...I know I've talked to Cote about buying some LF stuff from him and we'll probably make the transaction at a regional Smile . I had my Speed Graphic sitting on the registration desk last year, and got a lot of questions and comments about it.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:42 am Reply with quote
pocwatjim
Chapter Member

This was the rule change.

MOTION: Made by Director Morris, seconded by Director Cote. Move that the Convention Committee adopt the following language for Section 1, Page 7 of the Regional Meeting Guide: “Table holders will offer to sell items primarily of horological interest and ensure that non-horological items in the mart are appropriate for NAWCC events and of interest to the members, as determined by the respective event Regional Mart Chair or Regional Meeting Chair.” Motion carried. Voting Yea: Bartels, Baker, Cote, Gregory, Gary, Holloway, Morris, Newman, Orr, Wolfe, Voting Nay: Lee, Absent: Miller.

In effect they are removing the "forbidden items" language and turning the decision of what is allowed to the regional chairmen, thus avoiding conflicts.

I agree completely with this as so many items can be show with watches & clocks and when someone has some pens,jewelry, coins, knifes, what harm does it do.?

I know a few assholes who love to enforce the rules and ,in effect run people off and create bad feeling towards the NAWCC and it needs all the help it can get to retain & get new members, not pissing off people because of some rule.

WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » Richard Newman, nawcc chairman