|  Chapter 149 Web Site |  Kirx Klox Special Project |  CH 149 MENTORS | 
CHAPTER 149, THE LEADING COLLECTOR'S HOROLOGICAL CLUB, ASSISTS AND EDUCATES ITS MEMBERS>>KEEP UP WITH CURRENT RESEARCH!
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board

The original NAWCC internet chapter
established July 8th, 1990
President & Admin; Jon Hanson
Admin: John LaCambria

Chapter 149, protecting our passion one watch at a time!

Read our Standards of Conduct

login.php?sid=93ae90858339a58058202c6519a1063b profile.php?mode=register&sid=93ae90858339a58058202c6519a1063b faq.php?sid=93ae90858339a58058202c6519a1063b search.php?sid=93ae90858339a58058202c6519a1063b

WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » Wrist Watch discussions » From Fasoldt to Daniels to Omega
From Fasoldt to Daniels to Omega
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:34 am Reply with quote
interstatetime
Chapter Officer

Have always thought that it would be cool to own one of the Omega Co-Axials just because of the heritage. I was able to get a good deal on this one about a week ago. So far it is comfortable to wear and seems to gain about 1 second a day no matter what I do with it. I might keep it for a while.

John Cote (Member #105)
Membership Chairman - Ch-149
Past President - Ch-18
http://www.interstatetime.com
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:55 am Reply with quote
Neilywatch
Chapter Member

I've worked on many of these. Why are you dissatisfied with 1 second per day??

Your model is the first I've seen with day and date features.

Swatch group hired away Rolex's chief engineer a few years ago with the goal of elevating the Omega brand to match Rolex. I think that action had the opposite desired effect.

By the way also, Dr Daniels denied that his coaxial escapement had any basis from Fasoldt's original invention.

The whole theory behind the coaxial escapement is no lubrication. Daniels had perfected his escapements to run WITHOUT lubrication. But once Omega agreed to adopt the Daniels escapement they proceeded to reengineer it and unfortunately it nows needs lubrication, much to Daniels chagrin.

The Omega escapement is now on its 5 or 6th iteration. They've gotten it to where it needs service only once every 10 years.

I think they will succeed in making it run without lubrication, eventually.

I don't know if any of you noticed, but the balance is made out of silicon and the hairspring is made from synthetic diamonds.

We've come a LONG way, baby!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote
interstatetime
Chapter Officer

Neilywatch wrote:
Why are you dissatisfied with 1 second per day??

Your model is the first I've seen with day and date features.

On the contrary Neil, I am very happy with 1 second a day. The only other mechanical wrist watch I have had that was this accurate on a consistent basis was a new ceramic bezel Rolex Sub.

A jeweler/Omega dealer I know took this Day/Date in on trade from the guy he had just sold it to a few months earlier because the guy decided he wanted the rose gold version. Anyway I was able to buy it at a good price with all of the original kit including open warranty card. The cool thing about this compared to the Rolex Day/Date is that the day and the date change completely...with a click right at midnight whereas the Rolex changes gradually from midnight to whenever.

I know Daniels said that his escapement had nothing to do with Fasoldt but all you have to do is look at them to see the resemblance. Do you think he didn't know about Fasoldt?

John Cote (Member #105)
Past President - Ch-18
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Neilywatch
Chapter Member

OK

First the Rolex. As you know I an authorized service Rolex. If your date on the Rolex is not changing instantaneously at midnight, there is something wrong with it. All of the DAY-DATE models (presidential) from the 1803 all the way up to the 218238 both day and date change instantly at midnight.

Daniels knew Very Well about about Fasoldt - this to me a typical case of an ego not giving credit where it is due. He says his escapement is different from Fasoldt in a couple of key areas. He was a very big student of escapements and historical developments in watchmaking - which is why he loved Breguet so much. Breguet was a genius.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote
interstatetime
Chapter Officer

Neilywatch wrote:
OK
If your date on the Rolex is not changing instantaneously at midnight, there is something wrong with it. All of the DAY-DATE models (presidential) from the 1803 all the way up to the 218238 both day and date change instantly at midnight.

I stand corrected. I have owned a bunch of Presidents over the years but I have never owned one to keep....so I probably just don't remember watching the day/date change. I just read on the internet that this was one of the differences....you can't believe what you read I guess.

Thanks

John Cote (Member #105)
Past President - Ch-18
From Fasoldt to Daniels to Omega
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » Wrist Watch discussions