|  Chapter 149 Web Site |  Kirx Klox Special Project |  CH 149 MENTORS | 
CHAPTER 149, THE LEADING COLLECTOR'S HOROLOGICAL CLUB, ASSISTS AND EDUCATES ITS MEMBERS>>KEEP UP WITH CURRENT RESEARCH!
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board

The original NAWCC internet chapter
established July 8th, 1990
President & Admin; Jon Hanson
Admin: John LaCambria

Chapter 149, protecting our passion one watch at a time!

Read our Standards of Conduct

login.php?sid=b20923f919f09d869a751374f3261c51 profile.php?mode=register&sid=b20923f919f09d869a751374f3261c51 faq.php?sid=b20923f919f09d869a751374f3261c51 search.php?sid=b20923f919f09d869a751374f3261c51

WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » Pocket Watch Value Line for Collectors » Affordable?
Affordable?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

On the green bored there is a KW "affordable" discussion--what do the members think is "affordable?"

SUPPORT ETHICAL PRACTICES IN HOROLOGY--Keep watches original--DO NOT SWITCH, PART OUT OR "CREATE" PW abortions!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Jon
Chapter Member

I get annoyed whenever I see that word.

Pocket watches today are a non essential item. Peopep buy them according to their likes and what funds they have to spare.

I own some watches that cost me a lot of money but I had it available. There are other watches I like but even when I have the money to buy them I don't because I could use that money to buy things I like better.

I buy what I think provide me value for money and if I think it too expensive I just don't.

Affordable has become a code for subsidized housing. Why should I pay to provide housing to others? While there are some people I'd happily subsidize such as really good teachers police EMT and fire people to enable to live near me affordability does not offer that option. Yes my children when to better than average public schools for which I paid a bundle of tax. That is why I moved where I moved.

Affordable housing is housing provided for politically favored people who for who do not earn enough to buy what the rest of us buy and pay taxes on.

Logically, almost every watch is owned by somebody, so somebody afforded it

For pocket watches it is as nonsensical as academic integrity.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Neilywatch
Chapter Member

I kind of agree with Dr. Jon.

I have paid $15,000 for a key wind watch. and I have paid $50 for a KW watch.

If a person is basing his collection on what he can afford, then I am not sure what the heck he is basing his collection preferences on!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

When I see what people are willing to spend on their hobbies I think there has to be other reasons why people have lost interest in watches.

Perhaps you have to look at all aspects of how we welcome new players.

Do we welcome them with open arms or do we just want to sell them something. watch, book, membership.

Do we present a united group to new players or do they see a bunch of old farts who squabble amongst themselves.

Do we share information or do we guard it.

Is the current state of affairs a result of years on "members only" and don't talk about values lest you spoil someones sale.

"Rips" are great at the time but what happens if the seller finds out.

Of course none of us here do these things but we are just a tiny band of brothers. How does the hobby in general present to a new player.
It only takes one bad experience to move a new player on to something else and these things have been going on for years.

Perhaps we are now seeing the collective result.

Proud member of CH149 and Global Horology
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Neilywatch
Chapter Member

There have been several reasons that I have heard over the years for people dropping out of the hobby.

The number one reason is life change - divorce or children. Watches no matter how you collect them are expensive even when "affordable". When a life decision has to be made - it is usually over money, or the lack thereof.
So, watches go first.

Another major reason are bad experiences. I have seen a lot of people sour over bad purchases when they thought they were getting something "good" or a "good deal" for their money. And it wasn't.

People cannot fix their own watches - and they get frustrated over the fact that they are trying to collect watches but many are broken and need parts.
Everybody I know has a case of projects - some of which wait for years. Many never get fixed and get broken up.

But I think the main problem with marts is there seems to be a perception that it was a "good" place to find "good" watches and or "good deals". And when that no longer proved to be the case, people got discouraged and left.

My 2 cents~~

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:16 pm Reply with quote
interstatetime
Chapter Officer

"Affordable" is probably not the best choice of words but we all get what it really means. When I wrote my original version of the presentation "Collecting Illinois Watches Without Going Broke" affordable value is what I had in mind. What is affordable to me now has changed since then but I still want value. I still want bang for my buck.

Affordable does not mean cheap. For me it is all about making a good choice. I guess what is stupid about the word is that it seems too simple, Making a good choice regarding a watch is in reality very complicated. We all think '72 American Grades are fantastic watches. If you have the means to buy one it would be a great addition to any collection but whether it is affordable is complicated. A '72 American at a great price but with the wrong dial and winding wheels and a non-original case might be affordable in that you have enough money to buy it but it will turn out not to be affordable when you learn what is wrong and start to think that it is not really what you want in your collection.

Affordable is about way more than what a watch costs.

John Cote (Member #105)
Membership Chairman - Ch-149
Past President - Ch-18
http://www.interstatetime.com
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

In my opinion there are hundreds, if not thousands, of "affordable" watches!

If folks cannot afford "affordable" watches, they shoud stay away from watch collecting!

SUPPORT ETHICAL PRACTICES IN HOROLOGY--Keep watches original--DO NOT SWITCH, PART OUT OR "CREATE" PW abortions!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:00 am Reply with quote
interstatetime
Chapter Officer

Jon wrote:

If folks cannot afford "affordable" watches, they shoud stay away from watch collecting!

I don't want anybody to stay away from collecting. I think it would be great if new collectors got great advice from experienced collectors. I think it would be great if crooks were exposed. I think it would be great if organizations like the NAWCC did a better job of promoting enjoyment and enthusiasm about watches. I wish, I wish, I wish, I even do some little work toward these dreams but I don't really expect a lot to change. I certainly don't want anybody to stop collecting or to stay away from collecting.

John Cote (Member #105)
Membership Chairman - Ch-149
Past President - Ch-18
http://www.interstatetime.com
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:52 am Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

Never will happen on the current bunch's watch!

Affordable?
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » Pocket Watch Value Line for Collectors