|  Chapter 149 Web Site |  Kirx Klox Special Project |  CH 149 MENTORS | 
CHAPTER 149, THE LEADING COLLECTOR'S HOROLOGICAL CLUB, ASSISTS AND EDUCATES ITS MEMBERS>>KEEP UP WITH CURRENT RESEARCH!
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board

The original NAWCC internet chapter
established July 8th, 1990
President & Admin; Jon Hanson
Admin: John LaCambria

Chapter 149, protecting our passion one watch at a time!

Read our Standards of Conduct

login.php?sid=a0038313de10fbe882964e27d44cfc47 profile.php?mode=register&sid=a0038313de10fbe882964e27d44cfc47 faq.php?sid=a0038313de10fbe882964e27d44cfc47 search.php?sid=a0038313de10fbe882964e27d44cfc47

WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » Pocket Watch Value Line for Collectors » Dueber Display Cases??
Dueber Display Cases??
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:24 am Reply with quote
PWhandman
Chapter Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171208935904&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

These can't be antique,right?
I asked where the "Dueber" name was and am told:

"There is usually a sticker on the bottom of the base.
Since the process is human (applying a sticker) I suppose every now and again one can be omitted.
Have you purchased one from us that is missing the sticker?"

Did Dueber use sticky tags? Sad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:29 am Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

a disgrace and a fraud
Response
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:32 am Reply with quote
PWhandman
Chapter Member

Well-they do communicate.
Here's what I asked:
Dear libertywatches,

It seems funny Dueber would use a sticker if these are about 100 years old.
I'm guessing this must be a more modern company than the one that actually made the pocket watches or cases?

-and was told:

Yes, that would be funny. Especially because the sticker also has the web site address. Smile
We don't sell old or used items.
Google Dueber Watch Co Swiss and you should find the web site for the brand now in existence.
It is one of our brands (owned by Liberty Time LLC, which is us)

To which I responded:
I don't think it's funny. I think it's misleading.

-Cheap con is more like it-suck in the new guys and naive. Nice.
Sad Sad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:40 am Reply with quote
Wes
Chapter Member

Appreciate the sentiment.

Since the conversation is being broadcast, here is my response I sent before seeing this ignorant thread.

Quote:
Curious, aren't you Marty Bell, fellow NAWCC & Chapter 149 member?
This is Wes Boger, BTW.
What would be funny would be to be expecting some old antique item with the name of the brand's web site printed on it. I don't think Al Gore was around to invent the internet back then! Sorry you didn't see ht ehumor in my TIC response.

Not trying to mislead anyone. The fact the Dueber Watch Co is a registered trademark belonging to me and being used by by company to make new watches and accessories is public. This is not different than current Waltham, Elgin, Hampden, etc brand names currently in production.

- libertywatches

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
Wes
Chapter Member

Forgot to mention Ball Watch Co. I guess you guys must hate the fact ol' Jeff Hess revived that brand as well! Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:13 pm Reply with quote
PWhandman
Chapter Member

It just seemed like it would take in new guys to me-like I said on ebay-sorry and good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

135 yr old stickers? Who is nuts?

SUPPORT ETHICAL PRACTICES IN HOROLOGY--Keep watches original--DO NOT SWITCH, PART OUT OR "CREATE" PW abortions!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Wes
Chapter Member

PWhandman wrote:
It just seemed like it would take in new guys to me-like I said on ebay-sorry and good luck.

No problem. That is not the intent, as noted in my responses.

One of the reasons the Dueber name is used on the displays is to bring attention to the Dueber brand of pocket watches. The sticker on the bottom has the logo and the web site name as well, so people can see not only do we manufacture displays, chains, etc, but pocket watches as well. I would guesstimate that less than 0.1% of the consumers that buy the accessories have ever heard of the Dueber name. This is the consumer we are catering to, not the very liberal estimate of 0.1% of consumers that have - they generally don't buy new pocket watches anyway.

The web site - at this point it does not have an Add to Cart button meaning consumers cannot buy products on it yet. It does have links to where they can purchased - Pocketwatchsite.com and Amazon. But I believe after 3-4 years of putting this sticker on (free advertising) the dueberwatch.com site will in the near future add ordering capability.

As for the watches, they have had the Dueber Watch Co brand name on them since 2009. But, for many general consumers, the Swiss mechanical pocket watches are expensive. Therefore, new models with Swiss Made quartz movements are currently in production and should be available as early as late next month. I believe these can be retailed in the $100 range which seems to be a good price point for the consumers that just cannot or will not spend $600 on a Swiss mechanical.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Neilywatch
Chapter Member

Hi Wes-

I want to wish you best of luck on the launch of your models. All I ask is that you consider selling parts to repair them to qualified watchmakers.
Pretty Please~

There are no watchmakers left because none of the watch companies want to sell repair parts to ANYbody.

I will assure you that the few of us left will happily recommend your brand to anyone who ask them for an opinion, and this recommendation will be based on your decision to support the independent watchmaker. Even though absolutely NObody thinks to ask a watchmaker what their opinion would be on ANY given watch brand!

I cannot support Jeff Hess's Ball Brand because they do not sell parts to watchmakers. I don't think he even sells parts to dealers with watchmakers on staff!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
PWhandman
Chapter Member

Wes,I did not know you sold mechanical models,either. I would have bought one years ago-before I started collecting-if I had known. Is it possible to see the movements?
I carried a Charles Hubert (quartz) for a few years before getting a computer in 2005, and finding out I could buy a real antique pocket watch and getting into all this.
I don't get around much obviously,but the idea of bringing back the past in a quality mechanical pocket watch is commendable. I salute you for it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Wes
Chapter Member

Thank you both.

As far as the movements go, they are off the shelf. The Swiss mechanical watches use the ETA/Unitas 6497 & 6498. We buy them as complete movements. But availability of parts has yet to be an issue in my experience with this movement.

At this time the new, yet to be released models with quartz movements are using the Swiss Made versions of the Ronda 513 & 515 (not the cheaper "Swiss parts" version). Obviously it is cheaper to replace the quartz at this time than it is to work on it - at least for now.

Finally, the proprietary parts, like cases, dials and hands, there is no reason we would not supply spare parts.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:08 am Reply with quote
PWhandman
Chapter Member

Hey Wes. How much for a set of hands?

Dueber Display Cases??
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » Pocket Watch Value Line for Collectors